Beginnings 1

John Galt felled a tree to commemorate the founding of Guelph near this spot on the Speed River on April 23, 1827. Just over 170 years later, a world-class cultural centre graces this historic place.


In 1882 the Speed Skating Rink opened on the site of River Run Centre where fancy dress carnivals and balls were regular fare. In later years the Speed Skating Rink was used as a warehouse, and in 1991 the building was destroyed by fire. Stones from the front of the building were kept for reconstruction of a façade in the parkland in front of River Run. Four years later, in 1995, construction of the new performing arts centre began. Photo courtesy of Don Coulman Beginnings 2

Beginnings 3

River Run Centre was built with funding from the City of Guelph, Government of Ontario, Government of Canada, and from more than 1,400 companies, foundations and individuals under the leadership of fundraiser Doug Bridge. The cost to build the centre was close to $15 million. River Run Centre is owned by the City of Guelph and managed under the auspices of the River Run Centre Board of Directors.

Beginnings 4 Beginnings 5
Photo Courtesy of Don Coulman

New Page 1


River Run Centre
35 Woolwich Street
Guelph, Ontario N1H 3V1

Administration: 519-837-5662
Fax: 519-821-3470
Box Office: 519-763-3000
Toll Free: 877-520-2408
e-mail: info@riverrun.ca

arrow About Us
arrow Our Story
arrow Take a Tour

Group Sales | Directions | Theatre Information | Search for Tickets | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2013 River Run Centre