October 28 to 30, 2014
Grades 7 and 8
Known as KCLR to diehard fans, this seven-piece band has established a signature sound that integrates the musical traditions of funk, jazz and soul with contemporary influences like hip-hop, house, electronic and drum ‘n’ bass. The group performs with boundless energy, and a driving rhythm that often has audiences on their feet and dancing.
Discussion Tips for Teachers
Consider the following questions in a post-performance discussion with your students.
KCLR has won awards for “best live act”
- What makes a live act memorable or stand out from any other you’ve seen?
How did the following aspects of the performance influence your experience of the music?
- The band’s stage presence and energy
- The musicians’ banter and chat in between songs
- How they moved around on stage
- How the different lighting suggested different moods
- The kinds of instruments they chose to play
KCLR is known as a funk band, that incorporates many other elements of popular music. Could you hear any of these styles?
A few weeks ago, in Toronto, the band shot Drift Away – a new music video that they describe as their “funkiest/danciest set ever”.
- Would you describe any of the songs you heard at the performance as “dancy”?
School Program Coordinator
519- 837-5662 extension 2291